The rapid and overwhelming transition of enterprise IT into mobility changed the way we interact with businesses. It has been one of the biggest changes in the world of business so far. With the intrusion of mobile devices into workplaces mobile device management became essential. But with mobile devices playing the leading role in enterprise IT, mere device management was replaced by more focused enterprise mobile management. This shift from mobile device management to enterprise mobile management helped bringing an overall change of approach across enterprises.
- Introduction To BYOD And MDM
Nowadays, with the workforce depending on mobile devices in workplaces more and more, a device management protocol called BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) has become common across organizations of all types and sizes. Most business organizations today are either have a BYOD policy in place or considering to implement the same. BYOD by covering all sorts of mobile devices including smart phones, tablets and PCs ensure strict security measures for business data and processes vulnerable to unsolicited access through mobile devices.
- The Limitations With Device Management
Business organizations mostly have a limited and faulty perception when it comes to maintaining security with device management. They consider BYOD and similar approaches to device management is enough to ensure data security and smooth management of the work process accessible across devices. It is actually not sufficient to manage, secure, connect and protect data and business process. Organizations today need to embrace a more comprehensive approach to data management with all aspects of enterprise mobility addressed. The PCM approach referring to Protect, Connect and Manage, in this respect comes as effective. Let us see each of these elements individually.
- Protect – It is about protecting the mobile device and the data and apps in the device.
- Connect – It is about allowing mobile devices connecting enterprise network and accessing data.
- Manage – It is about managing the accessibility protocols of mobile devices to access enterprise network and platforms like VPN, Wi-Fi, etc.
- The Features Of MDM (Mobile Device Management)
The focus of MDM is mainly on ‘manage’ aspects of the above mentioned PCM and it comes with below mentioned features.
- Device management features like inventory, locate/track device, device settings of elements like network, Wi-Fi, VPN etc.
- Implementation of security aspects and policy on device in regard to roaming, password, backup, encryption etc.
- EMM, The Better And More Efficient Alternative
In present day world, companies are looking for more holistic solution that can manage all aspects of mobility instead of any specific element. This is precisely the reason why EMM has emerged as the most preferred solution for mobility in enterprises. Enterprise mobile management looking after all aspects of mobile usage, connectivity, security and device management offers the most efficient approach to device and data management. Enterprise mobile management unlike mobile device management offers end to end solution for all things related to mobile in business environment.
EMM refers to the discipline that covers the workforce, business processes and technology for managing the mobile devices, usage and apps within an organisation. EMM is equipped to take care of managing enterprise data security and whole ecosystem of mobile apps along with device features utilised for workplace activities and business specific actions.